Fedora NTFS-3G happily writes files with invalid chars in filename?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Sep 1 20:49:45 UTC 2012

Joe Zeff writes:

> On 09/01/2012 01:13 PM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>> You say it is invalid, then you say you have to escape it.
>> It is perfectly valid in Linux. You just have to escape it to avoid
>> confusion inside the shell (no issue with GUI programs).
>
> Not quite.  I know that in Linux you can get around some invalid characters,
> such as spaces, by quoting the name so that the shell knows to pass it on to
> the program as one string so I suggested trying it in XP to see if it worked.

There's nothing equivalent to "shell" in MS Windows. The command prompt is
a joke.

MS Windows has a separate API for filename wildcard matching, and file
operations. The APIs that deal with opening, closing files ban wildcard
characters in the filename. An application is expected to use the wildcard
matching API calls to expand the wildcards, before opening or closing them.

You cannot have filenames containing wildcard characters in MS-Windows. I
do agree that NTFS and FAT drivers should reject filenames containing ?,
*, :, and whatever else MS Windows barfs on.