Fedora 17 does not see Atheros AR8161L ethernet device on HP h8-1320t

Stowell Davison swdavison at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 01:08:35 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks at alldigital.com> wrote:

> On 09/06/2012 07:28 AM, Stowell Davison uttered this comment:
>

>> I recently installed Fedora 17, 64 bit, on an HP h8-1320t.  The machine
>> has an on-board ethernet port (RJ-45).  According to the machine's spec
>> sheet, that is device is an "Atheros AR8161L".
>>

> Atheros stuff is normally wi-fi, not wired. I'm not saying it isn't the
> hardwire port but it wouldn't be common.

There is also a wifi port; and that seems to be working -- If I click the
connection icon I see a list of the various available wifi hotspots in the
neighborhood.  But I think the AR8161L is a wired device (and there is
_some_ wired device there -- I mean, there's an RJ-45 jack through which
Windows was getting to the internet).  The entry on the motherboard spec
sheet says:
 Network
LAN: 1000-Base-T
    Interface: Integrated into motherboard
    Technology: Atheros AR8161L
    Data transfer speeds: up to 10/100/1000 Mb/s
    Transmission standards: 1000-Base-T Ethernet

>  Fedora does not see that interface device at all.  Dmesg and
>> /var/log/messages contain no mention of "Atheros AR8161L" or any useful
>> substring thereof.  There are no *eth0* files in
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-**scripts.
>>

> In F17, unless you did an upgrade from a previous release and told udev
> to keep the old name, the port will be named something based on the bus
> and device IDs, like "p4p1" or "em1" or something. Try "ifconfig -a" as
> the root user to see if the device is actually showing up.

ifconfig -a shows two devices:  lo and wlan0.

Stowe Davison