USB HD (Ext4) does not auto-mount anymore

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Fri Sep 7 09:48:19 UTC 2012

On 07.09.2012 10:08, nomnex wrote:
>> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:52:46 +0200
>> Mateusz Marzantowicz <mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Now, that you have working USB drive, check it with fsck.ext4 to
>> see/repair any file system inconsistencies that might have occurred
>> during this "violent" unplug action. Some people might also recommend
>> doing image of valuable data partition (using dd) before running fsck.
> Thank you for the advice. It must take some time to check 1T HD on a
> celeron with 512 ram. I will probably do that at night.
>
> I guess, the drive should not be mounted when I check. My USB drive is
> mounted in /media, and the file manager has to options
> a. Mount
> b. Eject <-- is it enough

Yes, media must not be mounted during fsck check (or at last not in
read-write mode). You'll probably use system console so it's convenient
to use commands like: mount (without options shows mounted file systems)
and umount.

> Could you help with the correct syntax ? Do I need some of emergency
> switches below?

I think  fsck.ext4 -f -p /device  would be sufficient and should repair
all common problems. If something really bad happened to your file
system, you'll be informed.

Mateusz Marzantowicz