Fedora 17 does not see Atheros AR8161L ethernet device on HP h8-1320t

Stowell Davison swdavison at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 17:16:06 UTC 2012

Solved!  Many thanks.  Details below...

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 September 2012 15:28, Stowell Davison <swdavison at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I recently installed Fedora 17, 64 bit, on an HP h8-1320t.  The machine
> has
> > an on-board ethernet port (RJ-45).  According to the machine's spec
> sheet,
> > that is device is an "Atheros AR8161L".
> >
> > Fedora does not see that interface device at all.  Dmesg and
> > /var/log/messages contain no mention of "Atheros AR8161L" or any useful
> > substring thereof.  There are no *eth0* files in
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.
> >
> > I know that the port hardware works because I was able to make network
> > connections from the machine using MS Windows.
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions.
> >
> > Stowe Davison
> > http://nic-nac-project.de/~davison
> >

> This appears to need the alx driver:
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/alx

Solved!

Many thanks, Ian.  The alx driver from the URL you provided above did the
job.  There are installation instructions there on the web site.  There
were a couple of glitches in the "make" because I lacked some necessary
packages for the build, but the error messages were clear.  The HP h8-1320t
is now communicating on its ethernet port.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Stowe Davison