Clams.....

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 03:59:10 UTC 2012

On 09/08/2012 11:40 PM, Roger wrote:
> This demonstrates one of the problems Linux generically suffers in the
> Desktop world. It demands too much knowledge of the internal part of
> the operating system.
>
> Well, yes and no.
> Rather it demands  sufficient knowledge to work on problems as they
> occur.
> This was discussed many years ago and I have found that the knowledge
> and ability to get under the hood and fix things, by far outweighs the
> learning one must do to use/control ones computer.
>
> In proprietary systems, the user, sheltered from everything, must rely
> on other more knowledgeable folk to fix or create endless varieties of
> apps to fix things for a fee.
> In the nixes much can be generally fixed from the terminal, and the
> fee for this is learning and asking on list.
>
> Let me give you an example of a potential catastrophe that happened to
> me on Saturday morning.
> In Fedora 16 I run VirtualBox, In VBox I have xp and LinuxMint, Fedora
> 17 will not install for me.
> Anyway Linux Mint would not shut down, it locked, nothing would shut
> it off, so in a terminal I did ps aux |grep VirtualBox to find the
> process of VirtualBox and kill -9 processnumber to kill it. It would
> not kill.
>
> I waited an hour in case the computer was processing something then I
> switched off the pc, tried a restart but errors galore during boot,
> faulty sectors and a whole lot of other faults.
> The message at the end of the list of errors said <ctrl D> to continue
> or enter root password and run fsck to repair, I chose this option,
> logged in as root, fsck fixed everything and Fedora came up and
> operates perfectly.
>
> Had this been exclusively GUI or a Windows machine it would have, for
> me, meant reformatting and reinstalling. Hours of misery, dozens of
> applications to reinstall and a dozen reboots.
>
> If I could recommend anything in Linux it would be "Learn to use the
> terminal and text commands" They are tools of the trade.
> Roger
Sound advice indeed....and slowly but surely I'm getting the hang of
it....but like......what you just described would have been for
me?.....a TOTAL re-installation of EVERYTHING!......I wonder if there's
a "manual" with all the commands one might need? And then another
question would be: Are the commands different dependent on the distro
you use?...will the same commands work in Ubuntu.....Fedora.....Linux
Mint......Mandriva etc? And I guess THIS is the reason a lot of people
won't live Windows....because there's just TOO much information to
absorb....at times I almost feel like crawling back into my "Regedit" /
"Task Manager" hole and staying there, but after being exposed to Linux
I don't think I could EVER allow myself to fall back into that
ignorant......close-minded state. Soooo......If it means hours upon
hours of studying Linux commands then so be it. Eventually I think I'm
going to pursue a "cert" in Linux...nothing major just a general cert
that can allow me to get my foot in the door,....and in doing so I'm
almost 100% certain that I'll need "terminal skills' in order to pass
the exams....

EGO II