F17: power consumption on wired ethernet port

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Sep 10 20:27:45 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 11:52:04AM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 09/08/2012 06:21 PM, fred smith uttered this comment:
> >I've just started messing around with powertop 2.1, and I notice something
> >that strikes me as decidedly ODD...
> >
> >On my eeepc 901, powertop reports that network interface p33p1 consumes
> >in the range of 5.6 to 7.7 watts, depending on factors that aren't
> >obvious to me.
>
> Are you certain that p33p1 is the wired and not the wireless interface?
> Wifi is not necessarily named wlan0 anymore. If it is the wifi, it
> wouldn't surprise me with the power use. If it is the wired, well, no I
> haven't any suggestions.

ifconfig says wlan0 is currently connected to the network, while
p33p1 is not. that matches reality: my wireless IS connected, while
the hardwired is not (no cable plugged in).

I'm not sure I should trust what powertop tells me anyway: when running on
battery, the "Device Stats" page says (at the top) "the battery reports
a discharge rate of 9.26 W", just now, but the device-specific stats on
that page are showing a total of over 9.9 W. Sometimes the difference
is greater, sometimes smaller.