Symbolic computation on Fedora

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 11:18:33 UTC 2012

Hi,

I need to do symbolic computation from time to time on my Fedora
machine.  So far I have tried maxima, which seems quite good for simple
things but often fails to give me any usable results for more
complicated cases.  Acquiring Mathematica licenses is not feasible at
the moment; so my question is what other alternatives have people used
and liked?

So far I have come across these:

1. SymPy - this seems a bit lacking in features (what I could gather
   from the Wikipedia page as the project page is rather sparse).
2. Sage - this seems to be quite well mature but non-trivial to maintain
   an installation.

Anyone has any opinions?

--
Suvayu