opinions about partition sizes

Alan Evans ame.fedora at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 20:43:26 UTC 2012

Hello, insightful users!

I finally got a new desktop system for my home office, so I get to
tinker with a completely fresh install.

My query is how to best divide the storage. I will be installing the
system on SSD, and I tentatively decided to put swap, /home, /var, and
/tmp directories on a separate, conventional hard drive on the
assumption that this is where most of the rapidly changing data (and
most of the disk writes) would be.

I put swap in it's own partition, sized by the old two-times-RAM
(24GB, in my case -- woohoo!) rule of thumb. Not even sure if that
rule still applies.

The rest of the 2TB spindle is configured LVM, and in that reside the
/home, /tmp, and /var directories. In my ignorance, I guessed 50GB for
/var and 100GB for /tmp, and the rest for /home. (I do a lot of audio
and video work, so I figured /tmp might be used heavily.)

Does that arrangement sound sensible? Does anybody have a contrary
opinion about how it should be divided? Or better: is there a way to
make the division between /home, /tmp, and /var more fluid?

-Alan