Avoiding LVM -

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Apr 5 15:43:12 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 04 April 2013, Joe Zeff sent:
> ...[snip a pile of stuff that has nothing to do with real security]...
> having your whole file system encrypted is just holding up a big, red
> sign telling everybody that you have something to hide

No, it's just called privacy, something that seems to be sadly lacking
in modern society - whether that be unceasing personal questions from
governments, or commercial surveyors endlessly polling us about our
lives, or social networking WWW services that lull people into blabbing
all sorts of personal information out in public...  About 15 years ago,
anybody asking such personal questions would have been told, quite
bluntly, to, "mind your own bloody business."

Just as locking my house isn't about hiding some deadly secret, it's
about keeping what's mine, mine, and all the asshats out.  Encrypting my
data is nothing more than that.  And as it becomes easier for ordinary
users to securely encrypt drives, it'll become more commonly done.
We'll be all the better for it, too.

For what it's worth, in my opinion, encrypting just a part of your drive
may give a hint of suspicion, but encrypting the whole drive just looks
like sensible security precautions.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.8.4-102.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Mar 24 13:09:09 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.

My apologies for not including a virus with this message, but I don't
use Windows.