How to restore MBR on a separate /boot partition?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Apr 8 18:02:12 UTC 2013

Dan Thurman wrote:

> Since I was unable to install F18, I would like
> to revert back to F17 that I have restored from
> backups, the following partitions:
>
> / (root)   /dev/sda10
> /boot      /dev/sda9

Did you make a physical backup of the partitions with dd or just back up the
files on them? Yes it makes a difference in recovery...

> What I have left to do is to restore the MBR
> on /dev/sda9 /boot partition.

MBR isn't on a partition, that may be your issue.

> I have a separate MBR installed on /dev/sda
> drive which is the master MBR for multiboot
> OS, which is working fine.

MBR means "Master Boot Record," so "master MBR" seems like something from the
department of redundancy department. And if it's working fine I really don't
understand your problem.

> What steps can I use to accomplish this?

Could you clarify "this" a bit, in terms of what you hope to accomplish, rather
than how you are trying to do it? I'll try to help, and there are at least two
people on this list who are better at boot issues than I am, so you can probably
get a solution once we have an idea what you are trying to do.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>