DSoD : Diagonal Screen of Death

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Apr 9 13:29:36 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 08 April 2013, Beartooth sent:
> On Fedora 17 and 18 I sometimes get a display like nothing else I
> know. It's made up of short horizontal lines, some in color, arranged
> into long diagonals that cover the screen, with about the angle of a
> backslash. The little lines in each group are parallel, and there's
> always a little space between every group and the next.

Sounds like a graphics crash, whether that be a hardware problem, or a
driver fault.

The suggestions about cooling have merit, and it *might* be easy enough
to aim a fan at your card to see if it helps.  If your graphics card has
its own fan, or cooling fins, it'd pay to check that they're in a good
condition.

I was given a card with a seized fan, and it runs fine for me, with a
case fan blowing air across the cards heatsink (with its own seized fan
removed).  If anything, my jury-rigged solution cools the entire card
better than the original fan that just barely cooled one small part of
it.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.8.4-102.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Mar 24 13:09:09 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.

My apologies for not including a virus with this message, but I don't
use Windows.