Dracut on reboot

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Apr 9 13:50:29 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 09 April 2013, Kevin Martin sent:
> As for using ~ instead of /home/username, while unusual it's
> definitely possible for somebody to *not* have their homespace under
> /home.  For example, on many machines I've seen root's homespace as
> simply /root, not /home/root (and other special usernames that
> applications runas are often homed to the application path) so using
> the /home/username convention fails in that case anyway.

... And the ~/ convention works like most of expects it to.  There's
probably a very large number of users where home is over a network, and
might not be mapped into the /home/username convention, at all.

On all the RedHat and Fedora Linux installed machines, that I've seen,
and a few others, the root user's homespace was always /root.  The logic
being that / would always have to be mounted, but /home might only be
there on a computer that was up and running in the normal manner.

I've yet to see a daemons have a /home/daemonname space, those that have
a homespace could have one anywhere on the filesystem tree, but usually
disallowing logons.  (Temporarily making it possible for gdm to logon
was the trick I used to make it possible to customise the gdm logon
screen.)  If you look through /etc/password, you can see that there's a
plethora of different places set up as the homespace for them
(/etc/daemonname, /usr/share/daemonname, /var/lib/daemonname, /var/spool/daemonname, just to name a few of them).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.8.4-102.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Mar 24 13:09:09 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.

My apologies for not including a virus with this message, but I don't
use Windows.