Installing texlive under Fedora 17.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Apr 12 10:43:50 UTC 2013

Please see inline below.

On 04/12/2013 10:29 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> Hello Rolf,
>
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 09:37:43PM +1200, Rolf Turner wrote:
>> I said ***explicitly*** that "powerdot is not compatible with pdftex".  I
>> did
>> "latex demo", ***NOT*** "pdflatex demo" and got the error that I reported.
> A little patience and being concise helps a lot.  If you knew that, why
> do you use the package hypdestopt?  As the error in your previous
> message says, it requires pdftex.
     I don't, didn't, never have, and never will use hypdestopt!!! Do you
     see any reference to hypdestopt in the "demo" code?

     I figured that it had to come from somewhere in the bowels of powerdot.
     God knows where.

     But for some reason unknown to me (nor presumably to the rest of
     humanity) powerdot has ceased and desisted from trying to use
hypdestopt.
     I repeat (again and again):  I MADE NO CHANGES.  Yet the error in
respect
     or hypdestopt went away.  Go figure.
>> ! Package hypdestopt Error: This package requires pdfTeX in PDF mode.
>> See the hypdestopt package documentation for explanation.
>> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>>
>> l.55   }\@ehc
> So either change from powerdot to something that is supported in pdftex
> (beamer, prosper, etc) or do not use hypdestopt.
>
>> But there are two further things to note:
>>
>> (1) Looking more closely at the screen output from the latex command
> [...]
>
>> So it seems that I was inadvertently using *pdftex*.  This seems to be
>> simply what happens under texlive2012.
> [...]
>
>> So I need somehow to get an installation of texlive where "latex" really
>> means
>> ***latex*** and not "pdftex".  How the hell do I arrange that?
> This is intentional.  All modern TeX distributions symlink latex,
> pdflatex, etc to pdftex.  pdftex figures out what it should run as by
> looking at the calling name (arg 0 in technical parlance).
>
> This is the same for most shells, for example.
>
> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 user user       6 Aug 15  2009 /opt/texlive/2012/bin/x86_64-linux/latex -> pdftex
> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 user user 1721312 Jun 28  2012 /opt/texlive/2012/bin/x86_64-linux/pdftex
>
> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root      4 Mar 17 01:09 /bin/sh -> bash
> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 978160 Mar 11 21:18 /bin/bash
>
> Next time when you post a minimal example, make sure it actually
> replicates the problem.  Including the line "\usepackage{hypdestopt}"
> replicates your error message from the earlier post.
     But I ***did not have*** "\usepackage{hypdestopt}" in my demo
     code.  It would never have entered my head to include that bit of code.

         cheers,

             Rolf Turner