Fedora vs RHEL

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Apr 12 17:06:41 UTC 2013

On 04/12/2013 03:15 AM, Steve Searle issued this missive:
> Around 11:09am on Friday, April 12, 2013 (UK time), Mike Dwiggins scrawled:
>
>> My problem is that I am trying to sell my Boss on Fedora!  He refuses to
>> let us use CentOS or to pay for RHEL ( Yes cheapskate). But if I can
>> show some comparison to RHEL I can sell him on Fedora.
>>
>> My whole shop run home servers and we all use Fedora.  We just need
>> something from somewhere to convince him!
>
> I would think it madness to use Fedora in a commercial activity, the
> upgrade cycle is to frequent and the risks of failure due to the
> "bleeding edge" to great. What advantage do you think Fedora would give
> you over whatever you currently use.
>
> If you can't convince him to use RHEL/CentOS then I think it wrong to
> convince him Fedora would be better.
>
> Obviously I have know knowledge of your actual business.

I have to concur. I manage two data centers with about 1400 compute
nodes. Virtually all run CentOS. Fedora is NOT for commercial purposes.
I develop on Fedora. I run CentOS in VMs to test the code and recompile
for the older libraries and such that are in CentOS. The code that's
vetted in CentOS is what gets pushed out to the production environment.

In NO WAY would we EVER consider Fedora for commercial use. It's too
much of a moving target and has (at most) an 18-month lifespan. Big
changes such as moving from classic init scripts to systemd (for
example) would require constant retraining with our data center people.

If your boss is a cheapskate as you say, then there is no difference
in acquisition costs between Fedora and CentOS--both are free.
The cost-of-ownership for a business with CentOS (consistency, long
life span, etc.) makes it a hands-down winner over Fedora.