Fedora vs RHEL

David dgboles at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 21:03:50 UTC 2013

On 4/13/2013 4:49 PM, Beartooth wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 15:15:34 -0400, David wrote:
>
>> On 4/13/2013 2:46 PM, Beartooth wrote:
>
>>> 	There is a real opportunity here for somebody. An old adage says
>>> "Find a need, and fill it."
>>>
>>> 	As the Baby Boomers retire, there will be an increasing number,
>>> well content with the situation Paul Frields describes, who have life
>>> partners whom they expect to outlive them. The astute ones should be
>>> thinking about adopting an OS in time for those partners to get used to
>>> it.
>>>
>>> 	Fwiw, I estimate that there are enough now for somebody to get an
>>> affordable support system for CentOS, SciLi, et alii off the ground.
>

>> Sounds a little lame dude. You want to switch grandma to CentOS which
>> would surely affect her and 'the granddaughter' being able to share
>> kitten pictures? And, if / when she has problems and she asks 'the
>> neighbor kid' for help and he looks at the computer and asks 'what the
>> hell is this'?  :-)
>
> 	Not at all. Grandma doesn't come into it. Jack & Jill (both power
> users at work, where they had layers of IT backup) are retired, and run
> Fedora now.
>
> 	Jack (their ersatz for Tech Support) is at home in these Frieldian
> media; so they're fine while his health lasts. He wants Jill not to have
> to stoop to some lesser OS if she outlives him, as the actuaries expect.
>
> 	But Jill loves golf and racquetball, not computers. So Jack puts
> her on SciLi or CentOS, while he's still hale & hearty. She gets used to
> it, and can do her email, browsing, and other routine stuff by herself.
>
> 	 When she does hit a problem, she'll be able to hire neighbor
> kids, or students at the nearby college, ad hoc; but it'd be handier to
> pick up the horn (or start an email, if that's not affected), and get a
> bill.
>
> 	RedHat, with clients who need massive support, doesn't want
> Jill's business. But (sez me) there are enough of her now to support a
> start-up entrepreneur who does; and in a few years there'll be enough
> more to support a thriving business, with that entrepreneur in the
> catbird seat.
>
> 	Am I making sense yet?

No. Actually it still sounds like a crap idea.

Smartphones, which work, can do more than a Linux newbie with a broken
machine. And people in general, or the guy at Best Buy, can correct a
misbehaving phone or computer running Windows before you can find
someone to fix a screwed up Linux computer. Hmm... just where might you
find this Linux repairman anyway?

Since you are here on Fedora I will grant that you are familiar with
Fedora. You do know that the various distributions are different? Means?
An *expert* in Fedora Linux might be / could be lost on a Ubuntu system.
Or a Mageia system. Or "name goes here' Linux system?

Like a 'Ford' mechanic might not be able to repair a Porsche.

IMO? It still sounds like a crap idea.
--

  David