F 18 problem accessing external usb drives with XFS

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Apr 14 22:21:15 UTC 2013

On 04/15/13 05:33, Paul Erickson wrote:
> I have a couple of external disks that I formatted in XFS using F11, I think for data backup. Now with a new F 18 installation, when I plug
> in the drive, the disk icons appear on the desktop, but when I try to access them, I get an error message stating that the contents cannot be displayed due to not having the necessary permissions.
>
> A google search of the archives has not turned up anything so far.
>
> Any suggestions?

If you did a fresh install most likely your UID/GID has changed.  Older versions started at 500/500 while the latest versions start at 1000/1000 when users are created.

If you do an "ls -l" at the top of the mount point (directory) you'll see numbers where the username and goupname are normally displayed.

Simply do, as root and from the mount point

chown -R username:groupname