F18 - no ifcfg-eth0

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Apr 19 20:34:48 UTC 2013

Again this is the pogoplug armv5 install.

There is no /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0  Only an ifcfg-l0

Yet the ethernet works, via dhcp.  there is no hostname.  No hostname
line in /etc/sysconfig/network and of course not in ifcfg-eth0. In
/etc/hosts, the system is labeled localhost.localdomain.  A new one on
me is /etc/hostname that has one line saying localhost.localdomain.  Of
course I want a specific fqdn for this system, so I need to change all
of this the right way.

Of course no GUI; this pogo only has 256Mb memory (not the 'bigger'
512Mb unit).  Only ssh access; I don't have the serial port adapter.  I
do have netconsole setup; but only if the pogo is at a particular IP
addr and to nc at a particular IP addr (set up in uboot).

Any insights are appreciated.  Do I create an ifcfg-eth0 and how? Is
there a tool to properly setup hostname, or do I find all places where
it lives and fix it?

I only have a little time to work on this before I head off the first
half of next week to yet another meeting.

thanks