Display Problem?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Apr 20 17:27:16 UTC 2013

Am 20.04.2013 18:48, schrieb Mike Dwiggins:

> On 4/20/2013 3:40 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 20.04.2013 12:36, schrieb Mike Dwiggins:
>>> After using Fedora for years mostly through the Gnome Desktop environment, I decided to run up F18 x86_64 on my
>>> test bed as a Web Server.  This is all command line but, no problem.
>>>
>>> I got all parts of the LAMP environment installed and running to include my preferred ftp server and was ready to
>>> start a WordPress environment, that means a browser.  No problem Firefox installed so start Firefox.
>>>
>>> "Error: No Display Specified"
>> are you speaking about start firefox on the server?
>>
>> besides that this is a bad idea you need to configure
>> ssh-Forwarding in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and connect
>> with "ssh -Y user at host"
>>
>> [root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config | grep X11Forwarding
>> X11Forwarding yes
>>
> Well, being as I have the test bed server isolated in a DMZ with no work stations capable of reaching it that is
> not a solution.

so how do you access the machine?

so how do you start firefox?
which desktop environment?

and if you say "none because there is no X11" than that is why you get the error

you can simply runa grpahical program only in a X11 session
local from whatever desktop environment or remote via X11-forwarding

so your two post do NOT describe your environment and you need to
help people helping you by provide informations