recoll and mime-text

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 23:49:05 UTC 2013

On 22.04.2013 08:18, medoc wrote:
> poma wrote
>> Sylpheed version 3.3.0-1
>> Working like a charm. :)
>> Recoll settings related to the file types are default ones.
>
> Hi,
>
> Dave's problem was not to get at the attachment from the result list, but
> trying to 'Open' the message, then get at the attachment from there. This
> failed because Thunderbird started in 'Compose' mode with the message itself
> as a text attachment, instead of doing the right thing.
>
> As far as I know, using 'Open' on an email does not work currently because
> neither xdg-open nor any common mail client supports it. Are you able to do
> it anyway ? Maybe I'm missing something.
>
> To get at the attachment, you need to fiddle with the search until you can
> see it as a search result. There will be something in a future Recoll to
> make extracting attachments easier.

Cheers Jean, Dave
It doesn't matter which method is used. ;)
Both do work like a charm.
You only need to set the proper mime type association - "rfc822"
A reason why I mentioned the Xfce because it has a very convenient MIME
type editor - xfce4-mime-settings(xfce4-settings)[1], which can be used
for someone who is not proficient in direct editing MIME type file/s.

RFC #  822[2]
~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
message/rfc822=mozilla-thunderbird.desktop

/usr/share/applications/mozilla-thunderbird.desktop
Exec=thunderbird %u
TryExec=thunderbird

> But this is not a subject for the Fedora mailing list, I think we should get
> off it if you would like to pursue this further.

Au contraire, it's a good title and theme. Let the people learn. :)
And thanks for useful application.

poma

[1] http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-settings/mime
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc822