how to make user account partially bi-lingual?

William Mattison wcmattison at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 23 01:22:39 UTC 2013

> > But the Chinese still doesn't display correctly in vi in Konsole and XTerrm.
> >
> > There are other issues, but I will initiate separate threads for those.
>
> I could understand it not displaying properly in an
 xterm.....

> I've no problem konsole.  Should check Advanced profile settings to make sure the Encoding is set to UTF-8.

In the Gnome terminal, doing a "more" on a UTF-8 text file containing simplified Chinese does display everything, but it's mixing fonts (both face and font).  I'll open a new thread on that.

In the Gnome terminal, vi-ing a UTF-8 text file containing simplified Chinese, same thing - including mixed fonts.  I configured ibus to toggle with control-space, but when I type an 'o' to open a new line and try to insert new text, control-space brings up the message "E29: No inserted text yet", and "Press ENTER or type command to continue".  I typed an 'o' again to open a new line, then control-space, and this time nothing happened.  I had to toggle the language up in the upper right corner in the screen.  Then ibus worked.  But newly inserted characters show up in a mix of two fonts
 - two faces, two sizes.

I had to install kde-l10n and the Chinese language pack.  But it seemed to not help.  I did all the settings and configuring I could find.  In KDE, in a Konsole terminal, when vi-ing a file, I cannot find a way to enter Chinese.  It seems to not know about ibus.  Doing "more" behaved the same as in the Gnome Terminal in Gnome.

Bill.