"This print job requires a PostScript Language Level 3 Printer"

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Apr 25 22:40:33 UTC 2013

So I need to ship back some defective merchandize. The vendor sends me a
link to a UPS return label, I open it in Firefox, and try to print it. The
printer is an HP 1320.

When I try to print it, the printer blinks happily for a few seconds, but
stays quiet, and Fedora tells me that the print job completed succesfully.

I try a few variations. Tell Firefox to print to a PDF file, then open it in
evince, and try to print it. Same results. Tried having Firefox print to a
PS file. Tried using pdf2ps on the PDF file. Tried a few other things. I
forget exactly what I tried, but on one particular attempt the printer woke
up. I got all excited, until the printer ejected a single page, with a
single sentence "This print job requires a PostScript Language Level 3
Printer", and completely blank otherwise. Very funny.

I finally got the label to come out by having Firefox print to an SVG file,
opening it in document viewer, and printing it. That worked.

HP 1320 is a postscript printer, but it looks to me like some PDFs (not all,
I can print most PDFs without any issues) contain Postscript features that
the printer does not support. Anyone know if there's a way to get CUPS to
handle that correctly.