Minor printing issue

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Apr 28 00:50:11 UTC 2013

Currently, I'm using F 17 and I have a reasonably new Canon MX410
printer.  This works just fine except for one thing: it won't print pdf
files, no matter what I do.  (I've had this printer since before I had
to re-install Fedora, and this has always been true; I just haven't
taken the time to work out what's wrong before.)

Both times that I've installed it, CUPS picked the printer right up and
selected what appeared to be the right driver.  (It picked the one with
the correct make/model in the name.)  I've checked with Canon, and they
don't support Linux; all they could do was point me at Adobe, which
didn't help at all.  I've tried to run evince from the command line to
see if there were any error messages and there weren't.  Checking, I
learned that both lp and lpr should be able to print pdf files from the
command line, but both of them complain that the destination isn't
listed.  (TFM tells me that they both check $PRINTER and $LPDEST
environment variables, but neither of them is set.  I've used the CUPS
interface to make sure that this is set as the default printer, closed
and re-opened the terminal, but they're still not set.  At least,

echo $PRINTER

and

echo $LPDEST

return a blank line.  Replacing the printer is not an option because my
income is very limited and, except for this it does everything I need.
Does anybody have any suggestions, including further troubleshooting?