Unrelieved black popups and message boxes [SOLVED?]

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Apr 29 17:17:07 UTC 2013

On 04/29/2013 06:27 AM, Temlakos issued this missive:

> Remember that problem I had, with unrelieved black in pop-up windows or
> un-minimized applications?
>
> Well, if you remember: on Saturday, April 27, the kernel development
> team pushed a new version of the kernel at that time. They've pushed one
> since then, so I am using version 3.8.9.200.
>
> Since the version immediately before that, I have not had one single
> problem with pop-up windows going black (or with KDE windows going
> transparent, which was a change in KDE's behavior from all-black to
> transparent several months ago).
>
> This convinces me that the kernel, or any of a number of packages that
> accompany it, was at fault--and somewhere in the development process,
> something the kernel development team did for the last version before
> the current one, solved the problem with unrelieved black windows when
> running on Intel processors.
>
> Naturally if this happens again, I'll be back. But now I know where to
> file the bug against: the kernel, or one of its associated packages.

Probably associated with the video driver kmod. I don't recall which
card you use and if you used noveau or whatever, but that's the likely
candidate.
-  You know the old saying--any technology sufficiently advanced is  -
-               indistinguishable from a Perl script                 -
-                                 --Programming Perl, 2nd Edition    -