OT: what's with the 'i'?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sat Feb 2 01:16:18 UTC 2013

On 02/01/2013 04:52 PM, Craig White wrote:
> It's clear that you want this e-mail list, informal as it is to respect
> your sense of proper grammar.

No, it's not "his sense of proper grammar," it's proper grammar as it's
been taught in schools in every English speaking country for over a
century now.

As I see it, there are three reasons people's grammar on this list falls
short.  This is an international list and not all of the members have
English as their first (or even second) language.  My attitude is that
they're doing the best they can and as long as I can work out what they
originally meant, that's all that matters.  Second, there are native
English speakers who either were never taught properly in school (I have
a friend who has trouble with homonyms, using "flue" for "flew" and
other such errors because of problems when she was young.)  And, of
course, there are the people who were exposed to proper grammar, syntax
and word usage but simply don't care.  On some mailing lists, people in
both of the latter two groups would be flamed for their errors.  On this
one, I keep my opinions to myself because I can't see any way it could
possibly help and many ways it could end up making trouble for everybody.

Now, of course, we're in a long, OT discussion of the issue and I think
that if nothing else, it's let all of us who don't like bad grammar to
air our opinions instead of bottling them up as we'd normally do.  No, I
don't expect this to result in any change, but who knows; somebody might
decide to be more careful because they'd never realized how it looks to
others.