winhq and 64bits

Raf Roger raf.news at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 10:29:43 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Junk <junk at therobinsonfamily.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-02-02 at 08:48 +0100, Raf Roger wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > i'm trying to install msxml6 and dotnet35 as 64bits package under
> > winehd, but for an unknow reason (at least from me) it seems wine
> > always requests and accepts only 32bits packages.
> >

> > why ? my fedora 18 installation is a 64bits OS, so where is the
> > problem ?
> >
> > what should i test now ?
> >
> > thx
> >
> > --
> > Alain
>
> Wine uses a couple of variables to help it know whats it's doing,
> WINEARCH and WINEPREFIX. WINEARCH sets the arch to 32 or 64 bits, I
> think it defaults to 32, Try setting
> export WINEARCH='win64;
> export WINEPREFIX='~/test64'
>
> run winecfg and try the to install the packages in the new prefix it has
> created
>
> you will need to set the variables every time you want to use the 64 bit
> arch programs
>
> Junk
>
> --

Thanks for the info...last time i used wine was a decade ago :(
so by default wine is in 32bits mode. Why in this case it does not work in
a 64bits OS fedora as 32bits application ?
i can understand that a 64bits applications can't work under a 32bits OS
but the reverse should be ok.

so why is wine asking some application/dll (like msxml6 and dotnet35) in
32bits and when it tries to install it does not work and in fact needs to
have 64bits version od those dll/app ?

--
Alain
Windows 7 x64 / Fedora 18 x64