"Install Updates & Restart" on a laptop

Ron Yorston rmy at tigress.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 08:36:22 UTC 2013

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>It isn't.  This feature works by downloading all the updates beforehand

I prefer to control when the download happens.  This turns off the
automatic download:

   dconf write /org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/updates/auto-download-updates false

>and then offering you the option in the menu to restart and install the
>updates in a special environment

The new option is positioned at the bottom of the menu, where the
shutdown option normally lives.  I prefer to avoid the possibility of
inadvertantly causing an update when I just meant to shut down:

   dconf write /org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/updates/active false

Ron