Thunderbird newbie

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Mon Feb 4 15:58:22 UTC 2013

On 2/4/2013 1:53 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> I've not tried that....  But I too would find it odd that it would work.
>
> If I go to/home/egreshko/.thunderbird/p7atwh0r.default and do a
>
> grep greshko * | grep home
>
> I find plenty of references to my home directory under linux which would seem to be at odds with what would be on a Windows machine.

I have 'tried' what I described, and have done so many times; I did a
fresh install of F18 on my home pc less than three weeks ago, and
migrated my Thunderbird profile folder from my Windows 7 box. I just
tried your command and it just found a bunch of emails with the word
'home' in them so I'm not sure what you're seeing. I have over 40
folders in my config, and hundreds of message filters; all those plus my
accounts came up after I copied the folder from Windows to Fedora. There
is an additional step involved after copying; when TBird is installed,
it creates a profile folder, perhaps on first run, or directly during
the installation, I don't remember at the moment. When you copy your
folder over from another machine, you have to rename that installation
profile, and then rename the one you copied over to the name of the
installation profile - or, there's a way to activate a feature that is
hidden, that allows you to select which profile to use from the menu -
you can google that one if interested... Once you open TBird using the
copied over profile, it will look just like your TBird on the machine
you copied from... Try it.

--
Claude Jones Brunswick, MD, USA