util-linux /mount / df broken most of the time

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue Feb 5 03:57:58 UTC 2013

Michael Schwendt <mschwendt <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 22:42:20 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
> > coreutils is reinstalled and clean
> >
> > i found out that "binutils" was borked and "ld" not found anymore
> > "ld" is OK after "yum reinstall binutils" but df still does not
> > show the rootfs
>
> How is that different from bug 887763?
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/887763 : The output of the command "df" (without
> any param) omits the line for the root filesystem

Could be the same but interesting that not everyone (including me) sees it.  The
bug suggests looking at the output of:

stat --printf "%d\t%n\n" / /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs

If the numbers for both / and /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs are the same, df doesn't
output a line for /.  If they're different, no problem.

Apparently, /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs has something to do with the implementation
of nfs but just enabling an nfs export  and starting the service doesn't cause
the problem.  I'll have to try rebooting the box with nfs server enabled at
start up and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Cheers,
Dave