[OT?] question about external hd

"Germán A. Racca" german.racca at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 18:19:49 UTC 2013

Hi people,

I have recently bought an external hard drive of 1 Tb capacity (Samsung
M3). I made a backup of my home directory with the following command:

$ cd /home
$ rsync -avh --delete --stats --exclude=*.vdi --exclude=*.iso german
/run/media/german/SAMSUNG/backup-skytux/

but it turns out that permissions on files/directories were not
preserved in the destination, and then I new that this was because of
the original NTFS format of the hd, so I formatted it to ext4 file
system using gparted.

On one hand, now the contents of my external hd are:

$ ll /run/media/german/SKYTUX/
total 16
drwx------. 2 root root 16384 Feb  6 15:51 lost+found

On the other hand, gparted gives me this information:

Size: 931.50 GiB
Used: 14.84 GiB (2%)
Unused: 916.66 GiB (98%)

So, my questions are:

1) I can't create any folder in the hd because it is owned by the root
user, and as I showed above there is this lost+found directory that I
don't understand why it is there. Is this ok? Should I be root to be
able to create/remove files/folder in my external hd??

2) What is this 14.84 GB used in the hd? Is this used by the ext4 file
system?

Thanks for reading this (OT?) question!
All the best,
Germán.