audacity manual dependency

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 22:42:11 UTC 2013

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 12:16:18 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:

> I'm just guessing here, but it may be that it never occurred to anybody
> that you might want to have the manual without the program.

Tell the packagers. During initial Fedora Package Review, such problems
are often noticed and commented on, but some packagers (re)introduce such
a dependency in a subpackage later. Being able to install documentation
separately/independently is a good thing.

If you examine the audacity.spec file, it contains:

  # -manual suits either audacity or audacity-freeworld; both create the path:
  Requires: /usr/bin/audacity

The comment doesn't explain why the manual needs the executable. It reads
as if the packager thought it was added value, if installing the manual
also installs the program. Perhaps that was done only for optimising
directory ownership. To have the main package provide several directory
entries that are shared with the manual package.

Nowadays, the packaging guidelines explicitly permit that multiple
packages include the same directory entries, so it would not be a bad
thing to do that for audacity-manual, too.

http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/audacity  as a convenient link to the
bug tracker.

--
Fedora release 19 (Rawhide) - Linux 3.7.5-201.fc18.x86_64
loadavg: 0.01 0.04 0.05