ethX ports playing musical chairs

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Feb 9 18:07:26 UTC 2013

Occasionally, upon reboot, apparently my eth0 and eth1 end up getting
"swapped". Hillary ensues because HWADDR in /etc/sysconfig/network-
scripts/ifcfg-Auto_eth[01] no longer matches:

Feb  9 12:53:46 shorty network[1325]: Bringing up interface Auto_eth0:
ERROR    : [/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth] Device eth0 has
different MAC address than expected, ignoring.

etc…

I'm tired of logging in on a console, and initiating another reboot. eth0
and eth1 are different hardware. One is handled by tha atl1c kernel module,
the other port is handled by the r8169 kernel module.

Anyone happen to know how to get the drivers to come up in stable order?