Fedora 18 - Disastrous experience

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Feb 11 02:24:20 UTC 2013

Bill Davidsen wrote:

>> 1. Sleep problem.
>> When re-awaking from Sleep, whether that was started
>> from the f-menu or by closing the lid,
>> about 60% of the time the screen starts flashing on and off
>> each couple of seconds, and the machine has to be stopped
>> by pressing the power button, and re-started.
>
> A boot time, enter the edit mode for the kernel you boot, and see if
> "nomodeset" is on the kernel command line. If so, try removing it (just
> for one boot) and see if that helps. Do you have a video hardware which
> needs a non-Fedora driver to operate reliably, say Radeon or nvidia? Did
> you fc17 have a driver, or kmod module to install one? Do you have that
> installed now?

Thanks for your response.
"Nomodeset" is not on the kernel command line.
My video device is Radeon - AMD/ATI M52 [Mobility Radeon X1300]
I didn't install any non-Fedora driver for this.
Maybe I should?
The video modules mentioned in lsmod are:
--------------------------
i2c_algo_bit           13066  1 radeon
drm_kms_helper         43551  1 radeon
ttm                    62706  1 radeon
yenta_socket           40363  0
drm                   216715  5 ttm,drm_kms_helper,radeon
i2c_core               28450  5
drm,i2c_i801,drm_kms_helper,i2c_algo_bit,radeon
e1000e                213483  0
video                  18552  0
sunrpc                215745  1

I re-installed Fedora-18,
and this got rid of all the problems
except for this flashing screen at boot-time.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net