nc missing option -z

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 10:24:32 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:10:47AM +0000, James Hogarth wrote:

> > I would use tcping too, if it were available on these other systems I
> > expect my scripts to run on.
> >
> > Thanks for spotting my dumb mistake in the parsing.
> >

> Are you sure nmap is on all these systems? It quite often isn't (not a
> default package anyway) for security reasons (no need to make scanning the
> network any easier) ...

Well, it is installed on the server I was testing on but then I realised
that particular version does not recognize -Pn.  So back to square
one. :-/

> If you need to install nmap you might as well install tcping at the same
> time ;)

Installing anything is out of the question since I do not have admin
rights in any of these other machines.

I guess checking for installed packages is the only option left now.

--
Suvayu