nc missing option -z

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 15:01:27 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 02:11:09PM +0000, Bill Oliver wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Ed Greshko wrote:
> >On 02/13/2013 06:24 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> >>
> >>Installing anything is out of the question since I do not have admin
> >>rights in any of these other machines.
> >>
> >>I guess checking for installed packages is the only option left now.
> >
> >It is *not* out of the question.  tcping doesn't need system privileges.
> >
> >Download the tcping rpm...  Then....
> >
> >For example do this...
> >
> >[egreshko at meimei ~]$ rpm2cpio tcping-1.3.5-7.fc18.x86_64.rpm | cpio -idv

[...]

I guess this would work too.  I wasn't aware there were no dependencies
for tcping.  Since usually home directories are cross mounted on all
machines on our cluster, putting the binary in home should be fine.

> I'm a little hesitant to chime in, since I screwed up last time, but
> that brings up a question.  In reading this thread, my first thought was
> "Well, if this guy wants GNU netcat, why not just download GNU netcat?"

Well, compiling my own means I need devel packages installed.  They are
not always available.

--
Suvayu