firewalld?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 03:23:53 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-02-14 at 13:39 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> I have a new f18 install.  I see it has
> rpm -q firewall-config
> firewall-config-0.2.12-2.fc18.noarch
>
> But my older system that I updated from f17 does not have this, it
> is using the older firewall config (which I manually configured).
>
> Should I bother to install firewall-config on my older system?  Does
> it offer some advantage?

The old firewall configuration tool would reload the entire set of
kernel rules when you made a change. This could cause side-effects such
as dropping open connections. The new firewalld system avoids this where
possible. In fact I'm not even sure of the effect of mixing the two; if
you're using firewalld then use firewall-config to configure it.

poc