irssi desktop notification on xfce

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 19:46:30 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:16:09AM -0200, Flavio Leitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to see a desktop notification (a flashing tray icon would
> be perfect) when some events happen in irssi, like highlighted words
> for example.
>
> I am using F18 and XFCE. I use irssi in Terminal currently.
> As an alternative, I looked for how to make the Terminal button
> blinks in the panel, but not success so far.
>
> Any tips?

This is something I hacked up for use with irssi + D-Bus and the
standard notify method:

http://code.google.com/p/irssi-libnotify/wiki/MainPage

I use this daily and it works well. I'm on GNOME 3 but provided your
DE handles notifications that come via the standard freedesktop Notify
scheme, it should work for you.