copy full system from old disk to a new one

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Feb 17 20:04:17 UTC 2013

Am 17.02.2013 20:59, schrieb Eddie G. O'Connor Jr.:
> On 02/17/2013 03:30 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
>> On 17.02.2013, Martín Marqués wrote:
>>
>>> How can I pass my whole system from an old SATA disk (which is giving
>>> me some trouble) to a new disk.
>> [....]
>>> I'm a bit concerned about the root file system, how to change grub,
>>> and if I'll have trouble with non-regular files from /var.
>> You can do that easily. Prepare your new disk (partition, format),
>> boot from an external medium, e.g. http://www.sysresccd.org ,
>> mount the old and the new partitions and do a
>>
>>  rsync -avxHSAX /old/ /new
>>
>> This is all you need. Afterwards, you'll have to reinstall GRUB, which
>> you can do this way (assumed /dev/sda1 is yor root partition):
>>
>> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
>> grub2-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
>> grub2-mkconfig -o /mnt/boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>>
>> That's it. Reboot, and you're done.
>> (Did this procedure a lot, and it never failed for me).
>>
> Just curious, will this apply to moving /_everything _/over from a "smaller" drive to a "bigger"
> one?.......like....say from a 320GB SATA HDD to a 500GB SATA HDD?....will the OS automatically be able to identify
> and recognize the free space on the new drive?

if you are dealing with rsync you HAVE already partitions
where you copy things around - so there is nothing
to recognize

if wouldn't do this and stick with dd / disk images and use gparted
to resize partitions because if i clone machines i want to have
all UUID's the same which matters in border cases like diks usgae
widget of KDE in case you sync two of your machines regulary and
because any LVM/RAID whatever IDs and there configs are 100% sane