Samsung laser drivers for Linux - thinking aloud

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 15:32:50 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Mark LaPierre <marklapier at aol.com> wrote:
> If Samsung wants to build bash scripts to install their proprietary drivers
> I say more power to them.  If you want to repackage their stuff in an RPM
> then I say more power to you.  That's the great thing about Linux

If it´s a non-opensource driver, then repackaging might not even be an
option. Depends if the end user license agreeement allows such
repackaging.

Just thinking aloud, have to check what the license is. The Samsung
web site displays a disclaimer/license notice that I quickly dismissed
without actually reading what it says (don´t we all), previous to
letting you download the file.

My point is.... STANDARDS.... hardware makers should abide to them (if
those standards exist).

I will dive into the cups mailing list -if any- and have a talk with
cups devs... having a bash script that copies files and libs around
seems odd.
FC