Was: Custom Partition Fedora 18- Now Problems

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue Feb 19 13:24:57 UTC 2013

On 19/02/2013 07:41, Roger wrote:

> Not that it matters, and no one is paying me, here's why I'm using
> Gnome Shell on Fedora 18, after rejecting it previously:
>
> 1. It's fast and reliable.
> 2. I like the way it looks.
>
>> I'll stop here, because many complaints about how it works, mine too,
>> are a "look" thing (appearance, *and* process of you using it). The
>> main gripe, and mine too, would be that we used Gnome because it worked
>> in the way that we wanted to use the computer. Now it doesn't.
>>
>> I take issue with the first point, as a separate thing. It has been
>> buggy and CPU intensive, more so than Gnome 2. You, now, need a much
>> faster computer and better graphics card, just for the basic user
>> interface that everything else will run on, never mind applications.
>>
> I really disagree with buggy and cpu intensive.
> My homebuilt pc is at least 3-4 years old with 2g memory and runs Fedora
> 18 very well, is fast, reliable and Iike the way it looks and works.
> I'm not using Nvidia which helps a lot, I think.

My PC is 5 years old, and the idea of a basic desktop requiring a 3GHz
quad core machine to function respectably is just eyewateringly wrong.

FWIW, I happily use KDE on a 1GHz Cortex A9 with a basic framebuffer,
and IMO even that is overspecified for what should be a basic desktop setup.

Anyway, the point I'm making is that what are reasonably hardware
requirements for basic desktop use shouldn't be getting calibrated
against hardware made in the past decade because the hardware
development has vastly outpaced the improvements in what we can actually
achieve with it.

Gordan