Odd Question, Wifi

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue Feb 19 22:16:41 UTC 2013

Jim <binarynut <at> comcast.net> writes:

> Is there any way a Unsecure Wifi connection,  one can determine how to
> contact the owner about his connection.
>
> I can't visualise how , but I just thought I would just ask.
Use nmap to find the actual host IP addresses of systems on his network and then
use the -M option of smbclient to try sending a Windows pop-up:

-M|--message NetBIOS name
     This options allows you to send messages, using the "WinPopup" protocol,
     to another computer. Once a connection is established you then type your
     message, pressing ^D (control-D) to end.

     If the receiving computer is running WinPopup the user will receive the
     message and probably a beep. If they are not running WinPopup the message
     will be lost, and no error message will occur.

     The message is also automatically truncated if the message is over 1600
     bytes, as this is the limit of the protocol.

     One useful trick is to pipe the message through smbclient. For example:
     smbclient -M FRED < mymessage.txt will send the message in the file
     mymessage.txt to the machine FRED.

     You may also find the -U and -I options useful, as they allow you to
     control the FROM and TO parts of the message.

Lots of ways this won't work but you get an actual pop-up window with the
message if it does.

Cheers,
Dave