is it possible to download a spec file only using yum?

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Thu Feb 21 01:47:03 UTC 2013

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 17:30:50 -0800 Rick Stevens <ricks at alldigital.com>
wrote:

> On 02/20/2013 05:16 PM, Ranjan Maitra issued this missive:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was wondering if it is possible to download a spec file using yum
> > or rpm only (without downloading the rpm)?
>
> Don't think so. The spec files are part of the srpm generally, so
> you'd need to grab that, install the srpm and grab the spec from
> your "~/rpmbuild/SPECS" directory.

Thanks, Rick! I would think so too but here it says that there is a way
out:

from
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/programming-9/how-to-extract-spec-file-from-rpm-file-426847/

rpm --scripts -qp my-great-app-1.1.2.rpm

My question therefore is: is it possible to achieve this without
downloading the rpm for my-great-app (of course, assuming the same is
in the Fedora repos).

Sorry I should have been clearer in my first message.

Many thanks,
Ranjan