NetworkManager update breaks DNS config

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 03:18:26 UTC 2013

I just updated F18 using yum. The updates
included NetworkManager-0.9.7.997-2.fc18.x86_64. This broke DNS client
services on my machine, i.e. I couldn' t browse, email, or do lookups on my
main machine, even though other local machines all continue to work. After
some head-scratching the problem appears to be that /etc/resolv.conf has
been changed to have 127.0.0.1 as the (only) nameserver. Since I' m not
running bind or anything similar, this means that DNS is effectively
banjaxed.

My resolv.conf is very simple (one entry, pointing to my router, which is
configured to point upstream correctly).

Manually editing resolv.conf fixed the issue temporarily, but I imaginethat
NM will shortly intervene to undo the change.

Just thought I'd alert people to this before they too are bitten. I'm
posting this from a VM which luckily has its own resolver.

poc