optional mounts in fstab?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 18:45:52 UTC 2013

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:37:29 -0500
Bill Davidsen wrote:

> Defining the mount as "noauto" doesn't help, the boot still tries to do the
> fsck, and still fails. Moreover, I really want the unit mounted if present.

The fsck is (I believe) controlled independently from noauto
by one of the two obscure numbers on the end of the mount
line (which may actually be documented in the fstab
man page).

Using noauto though means it won't mount it at all. You'd
have to do something like put a mount command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
that could simply fail if the device isn't connected.