openjdk with fedora 18/firefox 19

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Feb 25 13:54:29 UTC 2013

Am 25.02.2013 14:08, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> Reindl Harald wrote:
>> virtually nobody needs the browser-plugin and if you read
>> the security news of the last few months it would be a
>> dmaned bad idea to install this crap on every computer
>> as dependency because it is a useless security hole
>
> I realise you feel strongly on this matter,
> but don't really understand why.

because pull it AS DEPENDENCY for everyone is wrong
and that was the question i replied?

> Bizarrely, I apparently needed the plugin
> in order to install Samsung's Unified Linux Driver
> for my CLP-325W laser printer
> (Without it the driver installation "wizard" simply hung
> with a warning that the plugin was required.)

Bizarrely i and many others buy hardware which is
supported out of the box, so no reason pull it
as dep for everyone

> I also need it to access a bank account (in another country).

my bank account works purely with HTML/Javascript

> So it seems to me that the plugin is sometimes required
> for purely practical purposes

yes SOMETIMES

and that is no reason to install it on everyones setup
only because he needs Java for desktop applications like
i do for Eclipse

well, to be honestly i have instaleld the plugin but i
have DISABLED it in firefox BUT the ordinary user would
have it enabled if it is pulled without active installed