mounting NFS directory with read write access

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 20:47:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-02-27 at 21:30 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 27.02.2013 21:24, schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:
> >> As a user:
> >>    man sshfs
> >
> > AFAIK sshfs is not installed by default, so "yum install fuse-sshfs"
> > would be a prerequisite.
> >
> > Also, the NFS server need not necessarily support ssh, and even if it
> > does the user would need to have a login account. Some dedicated NFS
> > servers have restricted access in that sense
>
> the user does NOT need a login-session for sshfs/scp/sftp
> 100% for sure his does not, my boss has "/sbin/nologin" as
> shell and sftp access with WinSCP like any other sftp/scp client

I didn't say he needed a login session. I said he needed a login
*account*, i.e. a passwd entry that assigns him a UID. Unless of course
the server allows unauthenticated connections, but nothing in the OP's
description implies that (or even that the server is running sshd at
all).

> additionally sshd supports chroot since years and in combination
> with bind-mounts and short scripts you can fully replace any
> FTP-server and with fuse-sshfs use it like a lokal disk

If this were a conversation with the server admin, no doubt you'd be
right, but given that it's a conversation with a user who's access to
the server is completely unknown, the answer must remain a mystery.

poc