Reconfiguring packages

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 09:22:49 UTC 2013

On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 20:03:33 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:

> On 01/01/2013 04:26 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 15:37:11 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:
> >

> >>       Having come from Debian unstable, the switch to YUM from Aptitude
> >> is a bit disconcerting for me. So far I have managed but i have a question.
> >>
> >> In Debian, a package can be reconfigured (package such as console-setup)
> >> using dpkg-reconfigure. Can the same thing be accomplished
> >> in Fedora. I have 2 Fedora installations, 17 and 18.
> >
> > No. Something like dpkg-configure and debconf is not used by RPM packages.
> >

>    -Yes....I know that...I was asking if there is a Fedora equivalent.

No. As I wrote, _something like_ that is not used by RPM packages. RPM
packages are not supposed to be interactive during installation. And once
installed, you don't work on "packages" anymore, but with the files that
belong to the package. That is, either the package contains some sort of
configuration tool to run, or you edit config files that are marked as
such (so RPM can handle them in special ways during package updates).