K3B crashes on opening wma audio

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jan 7 08:17:51 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-01-06 at 10:57 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I am trying to burn a wma audio file to an audio CD.  So I tried k3b.
> It crashed on trying to open the wma.
>
> So I tried to play the file with movie player, which told me it did
> not have the files to play wma and I allowed it to download the needed
> files.  After restarting movie player it played the wma audio.  I then
> tried k3b again, and it still crashes.

Unless whatever codecs were installed to allow the movie player
application are also used by the burning software, you're going to have
to do the same thing to sort out your burning problem:  Find what codecs
*it* needs to handle that file types.

Alternatively, use something else to pre-convert WMA to uncompressed WAV
files in the same format as will be used on the CDDA.  The burning
software should be able to handle WAV files, and if you pre-convert them
to the appropriate bitrate and bitdepth (*), they won't get a further
conversion (and create audio distortion), by the CD burning software.

* 2-channel signed 16-bit Linear PCM sampled at 44,100 Hz

Don't convert a lossy compressed file format (e.g. WMA) to another lossy
compressed file format (e.g. MP3), you can create horrid distortions.

There's various different programs that can convert audio files, "sox"
is just one of them.  But you may wish to use an audio editor, like
Audacity, so that you can neaten up the start and finish of the audio
file, if it has stuff there that you don't want.

Be aware that some audio burning software will add 2 second blank gaps
between audio tracks (because the programmer misunderstood the
requirements of burning audio CDs).  Others handle audio starting and
finishing immediately, very badly, chopping the audio file short.  Do
some experiments before you give discs away, or lose the original files.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.