Install fails with Xorg segfault on fc17

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 23:32:40 UTC 2013

Hi,

>> The normal graphical install just segfaults when it tries to load a
>> module.
>>
>> Regarding doing this across the network with VNC. First, there is no
>> networking enabled at the time the Xorg server starts, so it basically
>> fails before I have networking installed.

I happened to be reading some documentation and came across info on
starting a vncserver at boot time. It's documented here:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/17/html/Installation_Guide/sn-remoteaccess-installation-vnclistener.html

However, it doesn't work. Turns out they didn't test it before
creating fc17, so it just doesn't work. This also segfaults. There are
a few open bugs. The solution is basically to use fc18 when it's
available. Pretty neat idea, though.

> Indeed, arrow down to the basic install line and hit ENTER. SHould be the 2nd or 3rd down, I'm not in front
> of it either now. But that option is in 17, I don't recall it being in 16 (might be my memory).

Turns out I was able to get it to install by choosing the second
option, Troubleshooting, then choosing "Use Basic VGA", which must
just load a basic VGA Xorg driver.

Thanks,
Alex