The latest victim of systemd's PrivateTmp…

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Jan 15 05:07:50 UTC 2013

Matthew Miller writes:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:21:19PM -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > Taking an inventory of everything that I have installed, only
> > httpd.service and ntpd.service have PrivateTmp=true. Which is now
> > off. There are a few others, but they're disabled/not used. I think
> > that PrivateTmp=true is now completely broken. Originally, it broke
> > named-chroot.service, until the reluctant admission that it did,
> > indeed, broke it, so it was taken out of named-chroot.service, and
> > kept only in named.service. But, looks like it now broke two more
> > services.
>
> Are there bugs for these?

I just straced systemd, and I'm seeing that systemd fails when the forked
child process attempts to mount /var/tmp, after unshare(CLONE_NEWNS).

My /var/tmp is a symlink, and I found bug 835131. Not quite sure why it
started failing just now, after updating to this version of systemd. But it
started croaking /now/, and not six months ago. My apache is serving up WPAD
for my LAN, making all my browsers go through privoxy, which flushes all the
junk on the intertubes. When apache failed to start, after the systemd
update this week, it was quite jarring. My /var/tmp was a symlink since
April 2011, according to its creation timestamp, and, until the systemd
update, it was fine.