How to see where is my DVD mounted?

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Jan 15 22:41:58 UTC 2013

On 01/15/2013 11:21 AM, Paul Smith issued this missive:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Judith Flo Gaya <jflo at imppc.org> wrote:
>>>      >> >> How can one identify the mount point of a dvd media?
>>>      >> >>
>>>      >> >> I would like to use growisofs to burn F18 iso image.
>>>      >> >>
>>>      >> >> I am using F17 64.
>>>      >> >
>>>      >> >
>>>      >> > If the disk is mounted, it'll probably be in:
>>>      >> >
>>>      >> > /run/media/<username>/<filesystem-label>
>>>      >> >
>>>      >> > Of course, a simple "mount" command would reveal where it is.
>>>      >>
>>>      >> Thanks, Rick. And the command to burn the iso image could be?
>>>      >
>>>      >
>>>      > the brasero app works fine for me, ..
>>>
>>>      Thanks, Jack. I have used
>>>
>>>      iso2dvd Fedora-18-x86_64-DVD.iso
>>>
>>>      where iso2dvd is a the following script:
>>>
>>>      ------------------------------------
>>>      #! /bin/sh
>>>
>>>      growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=4 -Z /dev/sr1="$1"
>>>      eject
>>>
>>>      exit 0
>>>      ------------------------------------
>>>
>>>      Unfortunately, it is not working:
>>>
>>>      $ iso2dvd Fedora-18-x86_64-DVD.iso
>>>      *:-( "/dev/dvd=Fedora-18-x86_64-**DVD.iso": unexpected errno:No
>>>      such file*
>>>
>>>      or directory
>>>      $
>>>
>>> what if you do absolute path to file? eg,
>>> iso2dvd /home/paul/downloads/Fedora-18-x86_64-DVD.iso
>>>
>>> ??
>>>
>>>      Paul
>>>
>> I use wodim, it just takes care of "everything"
>> wodim Fedora-18-x86_64-DVD.iso
>
> Thanks, Judith. Unfortunately, it did not work with wodim.
>
> By chance, it worked by given
>
> /dev/sr1
>
> to the growisofs command. How could one determine that the media was placed at
>
> /dev/sr1

Your CD/DVD drive will appear as /dev/sr[some-number]. Some systems have
two drives, so they'll be /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1. Depending on
how your machine was installed, your first drive may be /dev/sr1.
I've not sorted out why exactly, but I've seen it.

Usually the udev rules also set up appropriate symlinks in /dev to
point at the devices. For example, /dev/cdrom will generally point to
the appropriate device:

	root at prophead ~]# ls -l /dev/cdrom
	lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jan 15 11:23 /dev/cdrom -> sr0

It should also create a /dev/dvd symlink which will also point at the
correct device, but none of my F17 systems seem to set up /dev/dvd*
links anymore (boo!).

Also note that if you have two drives, you'll still have some questions
as to which drive is what. The system will have /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1,
and quite possibly symlinks like /dev/cdrom (pointed at /dev/sr0) and
/dev/cdrom1 (pointed at /dev/sr1).

After installing blank media, you can look at /var/log/messages or the
output of dmesg to see which drive saw the new media.

My recommendation is to feed "/dev/cdrom=/path/to/iso/image" to
growisofs and see if that'll get you anywhere or stick with brasero
to burn your disks.

Yes, it's confusing if you've not dealt with it before.